2.02.2011

How To Make Pillows With A Trim Edge & Zipper Closure

After posting the "Really, It's Not That Hard To Make Pillows" tutorial, here and here, I received a few questions asking why I didn't use zippers, hand stitching the opening closed instead.

Oh, zippers. I have a thing about zippers. (And not in a good way!) I designed and manufactured a line of clothing for over 12 years...sewing many a sample and sometimes correcting problems with various production runs before shipping. Why did the issues so often have to do with the zippers being put in wrong? I will now avoid sewing a zipper at all costs!

But here goes. I promised one reader I would do a pillow tutorial using an invisible zipper, and I figured while I was at it I would also add a welt made from one of the two fabrics. It was certainly more work than following my simple pillow tutorial, but I have to say...the end result is so nice will I ever be able to revert to my old ways and make a plain pillow? Probably not, shoot!


Supplies: fabric (use one fabric or two coordinating styles), pillow insert, zipper, cording for welt, thread and an invisible zipper.


Measure the height and width of the pillow insert and add one inch to each measurement. In this case my insert measured 12 x 16 inches, so I cut the fabric into13 x 17 inch pieces.


Next, to determine the length of fabric needed to make the welt trim, add together the measurements of the four finished sides: 12 + 12 + 16 + 16 = 56 inches. Add an inch to this measurement and cut a strip of fabric this length by 1 1/2 inches wide. (Mine was cut 1 1/2 x 57 inches.)

While there are endless styles of trim that can be used, I chose to make a self-welt using the ivory fabric selected to cover the backside of the pillow.


Lay the cording onto the wrong side of the fabric strip, fold the fabric over right side out, and stitch a seam down the length, encasing the cording to create the welt. Begin and end the stitching 1/2 inch from the cut ends.


Afterwards sew the two cut ends together to create a continuous loop and then stitch this section closed to completely encase the cording.


Place the welt around the outer edges of the fabric that is to become the topside of the pillow.


Stitch the welt to the fabric, running the stitch as close to cording as possible using a zipper foot.


Ah, then it is time for the zipper. Lay the front and back layers of the pillow right sides together. Beginning at the outer edges, stitch towards center, leaving a section open the length of the zipper to be sewn in. Then lay out the fabric, wrong side facing up. Pin one side of the zipper in place and stitch along zipper coil the length of the zipper.


Repeat these steps, pinning the other side of the zipper in place and stitch down the opposite side of the zipper coil.


Then pin the remaining three sides, right sides together, and sew together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.


Trim the corners and turn the pillow right side out.


Press with an iron if necessary and insert the pillow. Done!



Is this something you have done, will try...or leave to someone else?!

This project is attending Judy's linky party at DIY by Design!

No comments:

Post a Comment