2.10.2011

So Long, Recessed Lighting!

If you have read this blog for any amount of time you already know I am not a big fan of recessed lighting. Yes, in some locations they are the ideal lighting solution, but often I suspect builders use them as the "default" lighting choice with many a ceiling ending up resembling Swiss cheese!


Remembering I had this damaged lantern left over from an HGTV.com project, I pulled it out, removed the broken panels of glass and gave it a paint job.


Ah, looking fresh and ready to be hung in the WC. Next I made a trip to Home Depot to purchase a recessed light conversion kit, which would enable the light to be replaced with the newly refinished lantern.

before

After looking in the track lighting section for minutes, pulling box after box off the shelf in search of my beloved kit, I started to panic. They can't have discontinued this product...what will I do?! Off I went to find help. Returning to the section with an associate, happily he pulled out a kit from the shelves without blinking. Pure relief. And look, the box has a new look; no wonder I couldn't find it.


To read in more detail about how to convert a recessed light fixture, see this post. It truly is a simple process, taking around twenty minutes...and that includes the time needed to find which circuit breaker to turn off and haul in the ladder from the garage. (Note: this kit states there is a 25 lb limit for the fixture that can be hung, important information to consider when selecting which fixture to use with this kit!)


Quickly the recessed fixture was removed, the conversion kit installed and the wiring connected.


Next the fixture was hung and the bulb installed. I have to say I am always thrilled (and relieved) when flipping the circuit breaker after installing a fixture, to see it actually light up. Once I installed a fixture in a dining room and I just couldn't get it right, tried and tried and finally gave up, calling in my Dad for help. What was the problem? The dimmer was turned all the way down...talk about frustrating!


I just love the shadows cast by the fretwork on the lantern, interesting how it enhances the pattern painted on the walls...making it appear more complete? And yes, based on your feedback on Tuesday's post, I'm not touching it. Half done in this case has grown on me and is good enough, especially now, with the addition of the shadows!



I do however need to locate the can of paint used to paint the ceiling and paint the fan vent more thoroughly. There are also a couple of spots where the paint is messy where it meets the wall, but I want to learn how to install crown molding and this small space would be the perfect place to start! 

Up next, I have a fun little DIY project to cover the window...hopefully I'll get to that next week. My neighbors will certainly be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment