9.02.2011

Moving On To The Refinishing Projects

This table, that once sat in my grandmother's kitchen nook, got passed on to me years ago. Refinishing it has been on the to-do list for a long time. But now that I've found a place for it in the bonus room, it's time! 

I actually recall watching my grandmother working on this table when I was a girl, giving it a liming finish with a green tint, which apparently she redid at some point to this achieve the finish seen below. Need I wonder where I get my DIY genes from?


The table has gotten a lot of use since its last makeover, and I wanted to see what I had to work with.


I've had fabulous results with Smart Strip, removing paint from a brass light fixture and a mirror frame, so I figured it was time to see how it would work removing the layers of stain and polyurethane.


After testing a small area I then covered the entire table with a fairly thick layer.


After letting it sit for a couple hours the table was ready to be scraped clean.


Using a large putty knife a gooey mess was scraped away, taking most of the previous finish with it!


Afterwards, to remove the final residue of stain and even out the table surface, the table was sanded.


Instead of using stain this time around, the wood is so beautiful with its grain and various tones of beige and grays, I was thinking I'd use either clear or Tudor Brown Briwax to complete the makeover.


But then I moved the table into the room. 

(It will sit in a far corner, next to a closet and the filing cabinets, to provide a work surface and also a place for games and such...)

Now I can't decide which finish of Briwax I like better, if either! I like the lighter wood against the dark walls, and could use the clear Briwax, but it leaves a yellow tint. So then it occurred to me, hey, how about a full circle move and use Briwax's liming wax! The reviews say it lightens the grain to a whitest finish...hum.


Anyone have any experience with this or other liming products?

No comments:

Post a Comment