9.16.2011

Liming Wax! My New Favorite Product

I am so happy with the result of the refinishing job on this table...which once belonged to my grandmother, sitting in her kitchen nook. I have fond memories of many wonderful meals at this table!


A layer of Smart Strip removed most of the previous finish...



...and after a quick sanding job it was ready for its new finish.


After some debate I decided to try Briwax's Liming Wax...here is my test. I got a bit carried away and nearly did the entire table top...I just wanted to see what it would look like! Really, how can one see what you're going to get from a tiny spot on the underside of the table?!


Luckily I liked what I saw and didn't have to backtrack. At first I applied little dabs of the wax and rubbed it in, but soon I decided to just slather it on and go for it.


The more I applied, the more I liked it.



This table has been around, and there is no pretending it is in perfect condition. This actually lends itself to this type of finish: it is meant to look aged and worn and imperfect, highlighting variations of wood tone, nicks and dings.

When my aunt read one of my previous posts on this table she shared its history in more detail. It was originally hers when she and my uncle lived in Athens, GA. Then it traveled with them to Key West, later crossing the country all the way up to Seattle and later made its way down to Portland, finding a spot in their home in Lake Oswego. When they eventually moved to California it was given to my grandparents. But years later it also traveled to California after my grandparents passed away, and it came to live with me when I moved to San Francisco from Chicago. It has yet to make a full circle, that would require my moving to Athens and taking the table with me, but for now it is back in Portland! Confused? 


But back to the finish. The wax seemed to take differently to the apron and legs, concerning me. But I kept applying layers and eventually they looked right alongside the table top. I think that is the key as well, accept that the wood from the different parts of a piece of furniture may react differently to the wax. It's not meant to be perfect and variances are all part of the look.



I am so glad I went with a lighter finish rather than the tinted brown wax...the table looks wonderful against the dark walls.


The wax has a beautiful subtle sheen...


...and I adore how the liming wax brought out the gray tones of the wood.


Okay, now where are some chairs?!

{This table did come to me with three chairs, but of course I've already refinished them and they are happily living in other rooms of my house!}

No comments:

Post a Comment