11.09.2010

Bedskirts...Oh How You Drive Me Crazy

When beginning the Master Bedroom Redesign I was inspired by an idea I saw on Lakeitha's blog, Home To Three Duncan Boys, showing how to add trim to a bedskirt. I promptly copied the idea and dressed up a basic bedskirt purchased at Ikea, using chocolate grosgrain ribbon and a roll of stitch witchery to add a band along the edge of the skirt.



This is an incredibly easy project and doesn't it look great? And then the below happened. I am not a fan of bedskirts for this very reason. They slip and slide each time the bed is made, resulting in a messy appearance. Hum...if you haven't guessed it by now, I am not so much into messy.



As a result, I considered making a new bedskirt, using a thicker fabric which might have a more tailored and clean look. However, the design of this current bedskirt really works in the room...if only I could make it stay in place! Then I got this idea:



What if I cut off the sheet of fabric running across the box springs, which would allow a better placement of the skirt panels around the bed, attaching the skirt lengths directly in place on the box springs with fabric glue? Bedskirts never fit a bed perfectly, and as a result the pleats and corners often don't fall where they should. So I got out the scissors and cut off the fabric the skirt sections were sewn to, giving me three skirt panels that could now be arranged in the right position.


After cutting the pleats came apart, so they were simply glued back into place. And while I wondered about the wisdom of making this alteration to the bedskirt, it was purchased at Ikea so a large investment was not being risked and really, does a line of fabric glue ruin box springs? What if I ever wanted to sell the box springs, and if so, what does a line of glue do to their value? After this conversation ran through my head I realized everything was just fine, and moved on!


The skirt panels were then positioned along the box springs with the bottom skirt edge stopping just above the carpet. The pleats were centered on each side with the panel ends overlapping at the corners, creating neatly tailored corners. Then it was all glued into place...(I'm sooooo curious! Do you all think I'm nuts?!)



Even if you do, nice huh?! So much better in my book. Now I'm just wondering how it will hold up over time. I figure if any area starts to come loose I can just add a bit more glue.


And look who kept me company while I was working on this little fix. The settee is certainly getting put to some great use...


No comments:

Post a Comment