11.05.2010

A Coaster Project & Today I'm At Look Linger Love!

Today I'm participating in a fun series called '5 of my favorite things', hosted by Chassity at her delightful blog Look Linger Love. (And don't you just LOVE her header design below?!) Check out the post and her blog here.


Also, I worked on a DIY Coaster project this week, to use in the Master Bedroom. My husband always places a glass of water on the nightstand at night, usually set on a book or magazine. I thought it was time for an upgrade, and decided it would be fun to make a couple coasters to set drinks on instead.


I found unfinished wooden shapes, which were just the right size to become coasters, and covered them with primer. Then a layer of ivory paint was applied, followed by a wash of my beloved metallic paint in 'Fool's Gold'. After the paint dried a design was stenciled on, with a layer of polyurethane brushed over the tops and sides to protect the coasters from moisture.


The last step was to place felt pads on the bottom...


...and set the coasters on the nightstands.


This is a simple project that cost nearly nothing, using paint that was already on hand. These would make a great gift! A set of several, boosting a variety of colors and designs, wrapped with a pretty ribbon! I may just have to make a set myself, to put in someone's stocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment