12.02.2010

Making A Cozy Throw ~ What A Great Gift Idea!

When selecting the Master Bedroom Redesign bedding fabrics, I decided to use a solid textured cotton in soft brown for the duvet. It is a beautiful, simple fabric that doesn't compete with the expanse of print running up the headboard. At the same time I didn't want the bedding to be too dark (or boring!) and so selected two lighter fabrics to make a throw blanket to be layered over the duvet at the foot of the bed. It not only looks good but is ultra cozy for lounging!


To make the throw I chose an elegant tweed in pale taupe and ivory that has a beautiful metallic thread in the weave. This fabric was paired with an ivory fleece that features a fun texture. It is a slightly unexpected mix of fabrics that really appeals to me!


Using 2 1/2 yards of each fabric, the lengths were laid out with the right sides facing together. Next the edges were pinned every foot or so, and do you notice I didn't even bother trimming off the selvages? I'm making this one easy!



The sides were then sewn together using a one inch seam allowance. An opening measuring about 18 inches was left open on one end to allow the fabric to be turned right side out.


This project was so quick I was done long before the football game ended.


The throw was then turned right side out and the opening stitched closed using a simple slip stitch. Everything looked so good there wasn't even the need to press open the seams.

And making a throw would be a great gift idea...for parents, siblings? I can imagine so many great fabrics options to make a similar throw from. How about a large scale houndstooth in black and ivory or a plaid in great colors paired with the textured ivory fleece?



Next time I'll share the results of my latest pillow project...which will bring this project to a close!

No comments:

Post a Comment