7.18.2011

Making Of 'Fruity Flash: The Creation of Mrs Pear

Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop, Mudbox

319_tid_13.jpg
Fig. 13

To apply each of the textures, I selected the tab "Paint Tools", and then clicked on "Projection" (Fig.14).

319_tid_14.jpg
Fig. 14

In the bottom right of the interface, I selected the "Stencil” tab and then "Add Stencil” (Fig.15 & Fig.16).

319_tid_15.jpg
Fig. 15

319_tid_16.jpg
Fig. 16

Once chosen, the texture appears in the centre of the screen (Fig.17).

319_tid_17.jpg
Fig. 17

Beginners_Guide_to_ZBrush

I used the shortcuts shown in Fig.18 to move, rotate and scale the textures.

319_tid_18.jpg
Fig. 18

Once I had the geometry and the stencil where I liked, I just clicked to start painting. This caused a pop up window to appear, asking for the resolution of the texture (I chose 4K again). After defining this and clicking on the "OK" button, it was time to start painting (Fig.19).

319_tid_19.jpg
Fig. 19

And … paint (Fig.20)!

319_tid_20.jpg
Fig. 20

To keep a good level of control while I paint, and avoid being destructive, I find that it's always good to work with layers. So I created a new layer by clicking on the "New Layer" button (top-right of the interface). After the already known pop up about the resolution appeared, I started working on the new layer (Fig.21).

319_tid_21.jpg
Fig. 21

For this new layer I chose a new stencil (Fig.22 & Fig.23).

319_tid_22.jpg
Fig. 22

319_tid_23.jpg
Fig. 23

And... that's all! I only had to export the textures into Photoshop to finish the work. For that, I right-clicked on the layers to get the exporting options.

After Photoshop the final texture looked like this (Fig.24).

319_tid_24.jpg
Fig. 24

The shoes area was left like that (with no texture) because for this I only used a procedural shader with the normal map. The lips were painted with a different shader and a mask was applied to control them.   

And here's the final image (Fig.25)!

319_tid_25.jpg
Fig. 25

I hope this small tutorial has shown you a bit of the creation process behind this image. Thanks for reading!

319_tid_final.jpg

 

No comments:

Post a Comment